What substance does this tool screen for?
Is this tool appropriate to use with people with HIV?
Yes, the AUDIT has been validated for use among people with HIV and used to screen:
- Individuals with HIV who identify as male, female, transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming.
- Gay and bisexual men with HIV of all ages, races, and ethnicities.
- Veterans with HIV.
- Individuals with HIV accessing services in outpatient and infectious disease clinics.
- Women with HIV and a history of childhood sexual abuse.
- Individuals currently taking HIV medications.
Who administers and scores the tool?
- Optimally self-administered by clients either electronically or on paper.
- If screening verbally, by a staff person or health care provider who has been trained to administer the AUDIT, reading questions as written and not providing any additional information until after completion.
- Any staff person or health care provider can be trained to score the AUDIT.
Has this tool been validated?
Yes, the AUDIT has been evaluated for sensitivity and specificity against the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual III-Revised criteria for alcohol use disorder. While results vary, most studies have found sensitivity and specificity to be 70% or more. Some have even found that use of the tool may result in as high as 96% sensitivity and specificity.